I
Originally Posted by BrentD
This is definitely not that hard or complicated. Just set the mould for the same length as the original and cast in a few different alloys from 16:1 to 40:1. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference, but pick up and read the paper patches to confirm what is working.

I seriously doubt that "shells" refer to anything explosive. All my life I have heard people refer to both cases and cartridges as shells. Nothing to do with explosive projectiles whatsoever.

Brent, I hear ya. It ain't me making this distinction, it is in the 1894 ledger entry for the gun. Why the gun manufacturer distinguished between a 225-grain bullet and a 230-grain "shell" is mystery, but they for sure did it for a distinct reason with a real purpose in mind. I am sure a five grain difference in bullet weight does not matter in a black powder gun, so it must have meant something important to them at that time. And your advice is good. The only thing is the Brooks mold is one of those adjustable nose-pours, that even experienced casters are occasionally challenged by. So I am trying to keep my casting time with this mold to a minimum. The more I experiment, the much much longer the project will take. If Mike Rowe is correct, and the 12:1 alloy is standard (in this Eley bullet), and that little cup on the bottom is sufficient for spreading the heel into the rifling, then that is the alloy mix I will try first. A regular base-pour mold is not intimidating; this one is.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life