Ok, having kicked this hornet’s nest, and being so very very appreciative of everyone’s best effort here, I have helpful information and an update:

A) The helpful information: The ledger entry for this Lancaster 450/400 double oval bore rifle calls for two projectiles. A 225-grain bullet, and a 230-grain “shell.” I took the 230-grain shell to be an explosive shell. But that’s supposition. That others here made the same conclusion about this particular bullet is interesting.

Additionally, I pulled the antique paper patched bullet from an 1880s loaded shell. It is in pretty much the same shape it was when it was in situ.The copper plug is going to be pulled. The SECOND bullet was cast of pure lead in a new adjustable Brooks mold made to accommodate different bullet weights and sizes, as needed.

B) Update: Tomorrow morning, McCreath Labs here in Harrisburg PA are conducting a hand-held mass spectrometer test for free. If that test provides improbable results, then the bullet will be subjected to a full mass spec test that results in the destruction of the projectile. For those lamenting the loss of this rare bullet, I hear you. But I have another nine loaded antique rounds in perfect shape, and this one was pulled precisely to inform us of the bullet’s character.

Thank you for all your ideas, suggestions, math tutoring, and insights. I’m doing my best

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life