I have a good amount of experience shooting in the cold, at least to the twenties below zero. When Kevin at Downrange was first starting out he had me test a few combination of loads that people were having problems with due to the cold. Since then he has a commercial freezer so can test them in his pressure gun there.

Most common issue seen was crimp depth was not deep enough. .055 is the standard crimp depth. Too much of a good thing can increase pressure, by a lot. Don't over do it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

To get an accurate measurement of crimp depth cut a notch in your calipers so that you slide it over the rim. Measure the OAL then over the lip and you have your crimp depth.

Those F616 were old style and had issues with cold and certain powders. They have since changed them. Some bump up to Federal 209A primers in the cold as they are hotter. However that will also increase your pressure.

Never used Green Dot in the 12 with 1 oz. loads only 1 1/8oz. I use Clays for 1 oz. in the 12 but not sure of the pressure would have to look it up. (Edit: I did at Hodgdon website but there are a lot of combinations. Yes you can get well below your pressure requirements with Clays) I have always good luck with Clays powder in the cold. With that said spent the weekend looking at 1 oz. loads for the 16 ga. using Green Dot. There are some out there but strongly suspect Universal which is much more commonly used would be a better choice. But I'm out of Universal and good luck trying to find some now so looking to use what I have.

Yes factory ammo especially Euro made can have problems with the cold if they get cold soaked and get bloopers. Getting too old for shooting in the cold but when I did would keep my shells in a cooler with a handwarmer pack. Don't store them in the back of the truck on the way to the shoot, sit outside until you need them, etc.

Have seen some wads have issues with the cold but been a long time. They would fracture causing bloopers.

Last edited by Cold Iron; 02/15/21 10:45 AM.