An internet acquaintance asked me to help identify a Super he has. It's a 28 ga in Superlight configuration with a straight stock and Schnabel forend. The photos he sent me indicate that the gun is in immaculate condition. Details as follows. Serial # is 28xx F69. The long tang used on Superlights has the matching serial # stamped on the upper (stock) side as does the inside of the forend. Barrels are 26.5" choked SK/SK. So far, everything says it's a Superlight. Now the mystery begins. The receiver is engraved in the typical Grade 1 style, not the European market A1 pattern. Also, the bottom corners are "square", not rounded as they are on a Superlight. It's not marked "Lightning". In addition, the butt end of the stock is not hollowed out for weight reduction as I believe Superlights are. And last, the wood finish is duller than the glossy poly finish typical of most guns of the period. It's not a salt gun either.

So the question is: What does he have? My two guesses are that it was (1) a special order gun or (2) someone started with a field grade gun and modified the wood. I guess a competent stocker could convert a normal stock into a straight hand and remove enough wood from a full forend to make into a Schnabel' A long tang could have been purchased and included in the modification. The forend has the typical cross-screw and latching mechanism.

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.