Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Originally Posted by Stan
[quote=Ky Jon] If I wanted to shoot 7/8 ounce loads I’d get a 20. {/quote]

Amen, and Amen!

SRH
I think some of you are missing the point of shooting 7/8 oz loads in a 12 ga @ sporting clays.

For us recoil sensitive shooters a 7/8 oz load at around 1200 fps in a 12 ga of typical weight is a lot more pleasant to shoot than than the same 7/8 oz load in a 20 ga of typical weight. If I had discovered the 7/8 oz 12 ga load earlier I might not have the flinching problem that I do + the load is gentle on old & new shotguns.

To get the same level of recoil with equal loads the 20 ga would need the same weight as @ 12 ga & other than use in shoots that handicap for gauge & small bore bragging rights I don't see the point of shooting a 20 ga that weighs as much as a 12 ga.

I'm not missing the point. I have bought, and shot, 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads by the case. I, however, am not recoil sensitive, and can shoot even 1 1/4 oz. 12 ga. loads without undue sensitivity. I say, in response, that those who are recoil sensitive should not be so close minded as to think that all others are as they are.

if you are okay with chippy breaks, okay. I'm not. I want dust when I'm on a clay bird. This will also help ensure dishrag dead birds in the field, not wounded runners that the dogs have to run down and, hopefully, find.

Also, flinching is not always caused by recoil. Much, if not most, of it is caused by a disconnect between the brain and the trigger finger that is a result of the brain not being "comfortable" with what the eyes see as the proper lead....... an "Afraid I'll miss" syndrome.

How do the 3/4 - 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load shooters hunt ducks, or do they? If they do, do they justify their recoil sensitivity by saying that the increased accuracy of shooting impotent loads ensures dead ducks, even with less than adequate loads? Or, do they say that because I shoot light loads at clays I can tolerate a few adequate loads at ducks? Just trying to understand a train of thought that I do not, currently. I have used the gamut of loads for game birds, from 1/2 oz. .410 loads for doves to 1 1/4 oz. for ducks. There are posters here who disparage, and disavow, the use of a .410 for doves and other small game birds. But, they promote the use of subgauge loads in a 12 ga. I don't get it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.