Thanks both of you for the ideas.

As for The current shop, the way I got the go ahead for converting the carport was with the promise of an enclosed storage shed for things like bikes, fishing poles, deep freeze, etc. we currently have essentially no outdoor enclosed storage, and with five kids that translates into junk everywhere. so keeping the current shop is definitely not going to pass committee.

On the other hand, I think that I might be able to use a corner of the storage shed for a grinder, maybe a belt grinder, and other dirty room kinds of things. I had planned to put all the grinding machines in a corner away from the workbenches in the main shop area.

my table saw is a job site folding rig, so it is easy to move around. my idea was to have a assembly and layout in the area in front of the double doors. I was thinking I would build a work surface that could serve multiple purposes like an outfeed table for the table saw, a welding table, and a glue up/assembly table. and I want to keep the left side of the ship relatively open to bring in the occasional bigger project. e.g. I inherited a small sail boat that needs a new transom and some other work.

I've even thought about building a small fume hood like in a laboratory for working with certain toxic chemicals and other smelly jobs. For instance, my older kids have gotten into making their own fishing lures and could definitely use a fume hood for pouring soft plastics. thought it might be a good addition to a gunsmithing shop as well, although I don't recall seeing one in any pictures of other shops.

brent, I've been thinking about a dust collection system. my table saw, belt grinder, and wood lathe are the only large dust makers that I've got, so I think I can get away with a shop vac or two. not sure.

Jim