I have the opportunity to convert a two car carport into a workshop (first picture). The garage door in the photo is the lawn mower garage that I'm currently in (14'x19'ish). It's got one long built in bench with a machinists vise along one end (second picture) and a roubo woodworking bench as well as a harbor freight bench jumbled with a small wood lathe, a bench top drill press, a belt grinder, and a bench grinder. And I've got lumber and other storage space in the attic above the carport (the stairs go up there). I'll be basically doubling by space in the new shop.

My question for the group is this: If you could redesign your shop, what things would take priority for space, ergonomics, arrangement etc? I know that this question also begs the question of what are the most important tools and equipment in the shop, so fire away on that as well.

This will not be a shop used exclusively for gunsmithing. It will also be used for woodworking, knifemaking and some other hobbies, but I am mostly a hand tool (aka non-power tool) woodworker, so I don't need loads of space for jointers, planers, and other such saw dust makers. And I want to design it primarily with gunsmithing in mind.

I would welcome any and all input.

Last edited by Woodreaux; 01/05/21 11:26 PM.

Jim