Well, I'll have a go at this but you guys are really taxing my vocabulary. More new words. I'll be making a list to send to Dave so he can post them - since he locked the French dictionary line.

This is a rough translation - but it seems clear that the Raye "SUPRA" barrel was first intended to be a spreader shotgun barrel - and secondarily a rifled ball barrel. I would think this falls between a shotgun and a cape gun...a very interesting concept.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .For upland woods hunting.

New word:
"Le Chasse sous Bois" - upland hunting

For hunting rabbit (in the wild?) as well as Woodcock..

New word
“le déboulé”? in the wild?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Use one of our
Double guns with right barrel “raye” “Supra.”

In order to succeed in various hunts where one must be generally ready to fire, it is necessary that the pattern of the lead shot does not have a tight group, but one which can cover (the target at a distance of about 15 meters), with the widest spreading grouping possible, while remaining regulated and sufficiently “supplied” (“fournie”) –(presumably meaning “get the biggest possible shot dispersion while retaining enough shot to kill something).

New words:
Gerbe – Pattern
Gerbe de Plombe - shot pattern
Fournie - not sure

Of all the previous methods tried to obtain a result, special boring of barrels or particular loading of cartridges, -- nothing has achieved the proposed goal, when, after some thirty years of deep studies and numerous attempts, we have acquired the certainty that the shallow striation of barrels has achieved the searched for solution.

New word:
Forage – boring (of barrels)

This led to the creation of our Rayes SUPRA barrels, with which one obtains, at distance reduced to 12-15 meters, a beautiful shot pattern some 80cm in diameter (figure 2) compared to the pattern from the same distance by a smoothbore barrel (“Canon Lisse”) made to shoot ball. (Fig. 1)

With an arm fitted (“Muni” – new word) with one of our Rayes SUPRA barrels and normally charged cartridges with Nr. 8 shot which are proven best for close-in shooting, the chances of shooting games at close range are doubled; and it poses no risk of tearing the game apart rendering it inedible as with an ordinary shotgun.

New word:
Muni - fitted

Finally and this is not the least interesting part of this perfection, our new Raye barrel permits one to fire a round conical ball or a ball “MF,” with precision sufficient for a distance of 50 to 100 meters.

New words:
Chasse (m) sous Bois - Upland woods hunting
Déboulé (m)? - in the wild?
Forage – boring (of barrels
Fournie - not sure
Gerbe – pattern
Gerbe de Plombe - shot pattern
Muni - fitted

Last edited by Argo44; 01/06/21 10:50 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch