It really is stunning how intolerant people on the left are. They claim belief and support of the Constitution, yet attack anyone who has an opposing view. Most cannot get a point across, offer evidence, or even debate a subject without insults, name calling, and spouting their own tired talking points. Personally, I thought I was pretty respectful in my posts, not once generating an insult or calling another poster names. It's a major problem that we have in our country. We have lost the ability to have a conversation and civil disagreement on issues, forgetting that we are all Americans.

Blogs, forums, and other forms of social media tend to bring the worst out in people. They get emboldened and write things that they would never say to person's face.

My moderate social views are not BS. They are my views, nothing more. As a Republican, I disagree with abortion. I believe in adoption. However, I support a women's right to choose. You cannot say that you believe in individual liberty and freedom, and then tell a women that she cannot end a pregnancy. The left will get on their box and yell "Her body, her choice." I agree. But then they push all of their intrusive laws and mandates on us.

I believe that marriage is between a man and a women. But as I have gotten older, I tolerate gay marriage. I don't agree with it, but the belief that people have a right to be happy overrides my personal view. I just wish they would not force it on us in a way to make us accept it. A good example are television sit-coms. They want you to believe that every family in America has a gay child or sibling. It simply isn't true, but again I exercise my right to just change the channel and watch something else.

As a Republican, my conservative views and beliefs support a strong military, a strong, robust capitalist economy, border security, merit-based lawful immigration, a strong support of law enforcement, and the right to keep and bear arms. I also believe that the First Amendment provides us with freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. Therefore, it is not too difficult to figure out how I vote.

As to my oath, unless you served yourself you are really in no position to question it. I always feel uncomfortable when someone says "Thank you for your service." I did it voluntarily, enlisting after graduation from high school. There was no draft, I was spared the horrors of combat, I learned a good trade, saw the world and was lucky enough to find a civilian career similar to my rate. I simply stood the watch during a relatively peaceful period. I served because I chose to. Thank you to our country for allowing me that opportunity.

Some of my views have evolved over time. Some due to age, some due to experiences, choice, and some due to simply being wrong. The problem with the left is that they are so intolerant, hateful, and indoctrinated by like-minded people they see no reason to change. We have a tough task ahead of us.

Like I wrote earlier. It is not too late to save the country. But we are not going to do it with career politicians who for decades have been part of the problem and are only interested in self-enrichment and business as usual. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

Ride this out and hopefully new leadership will emerge in 2024.

Last edited by OldMaineWoodsman; 12/31/20 07:29 AM.