My wife and I have been discussing this subject for some time. I retired last year. Our kids are grown, have jobs and families of their own. Basically it is just the wife and I. We have seven grand-kids and we both do not want to be far from them. I grew up in Upstate New York. Going back there is not an option. Wife is from Northern England.

Virginia has really gone down and is headed into a deeper slide into lunatic left land I fear. When we moved here over 20 years ago our area was still fairly rural. It has exploded in growth with no end in sight. The traffic, sprawl, growth, and crime that comes with it has led to us looking elsewhere. We lived in Maine for a number of years and I would love to go back. A little too far from the family though. Another option is staying in Virginia but moving to one of the more rural, Republican strong-hold counties like Highland. Sadly, the State government is led by increasingly intrusive out of State left-wingers and I don't see it changing.

I am very torn right now. I have always considered myself an optimist, and as a student of history I know that as a country we have weathered worse. I'm not sure anymore. As to a "last stand," I think our last stand should be beating down the left so that they are no longer a threat for at least a generation or two. They are not simply an opposing view anymore. They are a threat to our freedom and liberty.