I grew up in ID, moved to AK and lived there for about 18 years and then relocated back to ID. I lived off the road system for much of my time in AK and enjoyed it very much, mainly due to the hunting and fishing. I realized early on that if one wants to enjoy what AK has to offer, particularly in the bush, I would need a variety of "toys." Over the course of time, I accumulated a couple of boats, a couple of sno-go's and a plane. It didn't matter much what ones political leanings were, most folks had the "live and let live attitude." I lived there when I was in my 20's into my early 40's.

As the kids became school age, my wife and I realized that the area we lived would not be optimum for the kids concerning their education, social development and extra curricular activities, so we moved to Anchorage. I liked Anchorage as well, but being somewhat isolated from all close relatives, we decided to move back (for me) to Idaho. The kids were born in AK and my wife, elsewhere. We moved, initially to my fairly small home town, which seems like a town that "time forgot!"

I've discussed with a good friend who also lived and taught in AK for a number of years, if, at our age, we could handle the adventure that was AK! Our conclusion is, probably not, at least not the bush!

The area we now live in ID has grown substantially, but still holds to the traditional values I grew up with. I travel to my small home town regularly to visit my mom and help with the upkeep of the place...it's still a small logging community with all of the outdoor opportunities I enjoy and it still holds to the values it had when I was growing up. There are many small communities in ID that remain as they were, for the most part, 30-40 years ago!

As was mentioned, there's not one perfect place. but if my wife would be amenable to it (she's coming around), I would move the 55-60 miles to the town of my youth to make my "last stand" hunting, fishing and tending to our property that we manage for timber production. And yes, I could live the "form of wilderness" lifestyle and be fairly close to first rate medical facilities.

Cameron Hughes