Originally Posted By: Kutter
Nice little rifle. Great Condition

Given that there doesn't seem to be any info on the cartridge/caliber, could the rifle have been a .300 Sherwood originally with the bbl marking .300 S

Then some one lengthened/enlarged the chamber to what you have and added the 'L' to the caliber marking in between the .300 and the 'S'. So you have .300 L.S.

(The .300 Sherwood was also known as the .300 Extra Long.
So making a .300 Long Sherwood wouldn't seem right unless you didn't know better. Or just had to do something with the caliber mark.

Just a thought. Bullet dia at .300 seems right.
Doesn't make any different, it surely shoots well!

It's great that Rocky Mtn can make up brass cases for instances like this. Brings an orphaned rifle back to life.
Thanks for the explanation of the filler placed below the powder in the case. Never have heard of that before, never thought of it before actually!

Nice shooting!!

Hello Kutter,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what to say about the 300 LS caliber, or how it came to be. The rim dia of the Sherwood case is too small for the extractor on this rifle, but who knows? The only way I knew LS stood for "Long Shot" is that the former owner tagged the rifle with that moniker.

Yes, RMC has made custom breaa for many of my toys; 700NE, 20-577, 14x33 Wanzel, thick 20ga, 18ga, 12ga, etc.

As for the TP pill in the bottom of the case, testing loads had shown there was an issue with powder position within the case. This is a straight case with no taper. When the powder was full back against the primer, there was a pressure spike in the case neck and the case would stick in the chamber. When the powder was level, or full forward, there was no pressure issues. I've seen this happen before when cases were filled below 70% density. The toilet paper pill, made from a 1" sq, keeps the powder forward in the case, closer to the base of the bullet. In this case it accounts for about 3/16" to 1/4" filler at the "bottom" of the case. A small rolled "pill" the size of a pea, will not inhibit ignition, and in some cases it will actually make the ignition of the powder more uniform. As you can see, a 6 fps standard deviation would indicate very good uniform ignition.