Originally Posted By: Hal
But OK for the drag race folks to burn 000's of gallons of "nitro" every year including races in CA.

The "nitro" formula used in drag racers and funny cars is Nitromethane. NASCAR rules do not permit any fuel except gasoline.

Not saying that drag racers never used nitrobenzene, because over the years, they tried just about anything in the quest to maximize horsepower. Fuel is routinely tested to detect fuel cheaters. I recall reading years ago that exposure to nitrobenzene is cumulative, but have never seen anything to confirm that. I still wouldn't recommend using it for after-shave. The aroma of the small amount of nitrobenzene in the old Hoppe's No. 9 really overpowered the other solvents. I noticed that when I got a whiff of straight 100% lab grade nitrobenzene in an Organic chemistry lab class. We were assigned "unknowns" to test and identify. When I was given a flask of nitrobenzene by the professor, it was like a gift because I immediately knew what it was, due to my frequent use of Hoppe's No. 9. All I had to do was verify things like specific gravity, boiling point, vapor pressure, etc. that I found in the Merck Index. I wish they were all that easy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.