Mr Boyd is correct.
I carry a large gun insurance policy through Eastern Arms. I am not a dealer but actively collect and trade some firearms The guns I have sold have the cost of freight and insurance included in the asking price of the firearm. Further it comes with a 3 day inspection period. My understanding the gun is owned by me until it is accepted by the buyer.
The buyer could decide after the firearm is received to decline the purchase and not take possession. In which case it is returned and the firearm continues to be covered and owned by me.
Now if I buy a firearm from you and you offer me an opportunity to purchase insurance against shipping damage and or loss, and I decline then you are off the hook and I am fully responsible. At this point my Eastern Insurance policy kicks in and I am covered.
Also not part of Eightbore’s question but some additional information concerning shipping guns out for repair.
I never purchase additional coverage through the carrier. Nor do I have the gunsmith add insurance on the returning firearm as I own the firearm and it is covered for damage, loss, or theft through my Eastern Insurance policy minus my $250 deductible.