Originally Posted By: Replacement
I bought my younger son a Miroku Daly 20 as his starter gun a long time ago. Nice gun, but they were much cheaper then. For a budget starter 20 these days, I would recommend a Yildiz from Academy. A friend bought a pair for his boys and they have turned out to be excellent guns for the money.

My youngest sons first shotgun was also a Miroku Daly 20 choked Sk and Sk. His grandfather had it reblued before he gave it to him.

Being fixed choke good for skeet and grouse but falls short for sporting clays and other venues and bird options. And it really doesn't fit him well. Bottom line is if the gun doesn't fit you it doesn't matter how cheap it is. I wouldn't hesitate to look at those Yildiz guns if there was an Academy Sports around.

The BL4/3 series in 20 ga. are in high demand by hunters so prices have gone up last few years. And there is the fixed choke thing to deal with although there is something to be said for fixed chokes IMO. For one it gives you an excuse to buy yet another gun.

Originally Posted By: Stan
This isn't quite as low as you specified, but who knows what they'll take? Make an offer? Even at $999 it's a lot of gun.

I've been shooting a Verona LX 692 28/.410 for about ten years. I have nothing but praise for it. Veronas are the most undervalued, overlooked O/U on the market, IMO.

If there's any concern about repairs there is a dealer/gunsmith in NV for FAIR, trained by the Rizzinis in Italy, named Bazil Slaughter. He ordered my FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold .410 for me. Great guy, and a straight shooter.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101559238

This is mine............

SRH

My youngest son first new gun was a Verona in 12 ga. FAIR makes a heck of a gun IME and the Verona line is a real sleeper. With interchangeable choke tubes.

FAIR's first introduction into the US was with NEA and I have a 16 ga. with both 28" for hunting and 30" bbl. for clays. It has tens of thousands of rounds over the years through it without a hiccup.

Italian Firearms Group is the importer for FAIR now and places like Lion Country Supply can order one for you including custom orders. I finally picked up a FAIR Iside in 16 ga. last year and wish I would had done so sooner.

The fit and finish on my FAIR guns are close to my B. Rizzini & Berretta target guns. And unlike Browning's and Winchester shotguns they fit me and work well. For me.