I deer hunt to provide venison for myself and those who can no longer hunt for health reasons. Folks who mentored me or provided me access to good hunting properties. Now they set on the couch and I bring them venison, cut, wrapped and frozen to put their freezers. I regard deer pretty much as organic free range meat. Not much pleasure to it frankly. If it didn't like it myself I will still hunt for my buddies (all Vietnam vets btw).

Bird hunting behind my little Llew is totally different. I live for that and live to swing a little shotgun on a bird coming off a solid point. I love little far away diners it little bitty bars with nice folks who would give you the shirt off their backs even if they don't know you.

Number 2 behind chasing a little bird dog is spring turkey hunting. Nothing like battling wits with a boss bird who has the edge in every way possible because you on his home turf. Hell, if Turkey's had a sense of smell you sure wouldn't kill many.

Killing is part of the game. Regarding hanging it up, I'm thinking I'll do it as long as I can safely do it and when I can not longer safely do it I'll starting drowning a worm and drinking more bourbon.

foxes rule