Originally Posted By: keith
John E, after reading your posts again, it appears that you are saying that your twist barreled DS grade Lefever has several features that point to Ithaca, N.Y. assembly.

I find that very interesting, because the two DS guns I own that have twist barrels, cocking indicators, LAC monogram buttplates, and doll's head rib extension do not show any indication that they were assembled by Ithaca Gun Co. Nor do any of the other guns in that scarce DS grade variation, which I have examined.

Could you please tell us the serial number range of this gun, and what other clues it has that it may have been assembled by Ithaca, aside from a P stamp on the forend hanger? It would be especially interesting to know if your gun has more than one serial number on the underside of the barrels, because some Lefever owners were scrambling to purchase extra or replacement barrels while parts were still available from Ithaca. The completed guns were being discounted up to 40% during that short three year time-span.

Keith,

My gun #59122, has Twist barrels, dolls head, and cocking indicators. Frame is stamped "DS". Sideplates stamped "LEFEVER ARMS CO.,". No address line. Forend has no escutcheon or metal forend tip. Buttstock has POW grip, no flutes at comb, and early Nitro Special checkering pattern. LOP=14" to unmarked buttplate( stock is straight cut, so maybe a replacement).
Barrel Flats each stamped "I". Left tube stamped "59122 H". Forend hanger flat between barrels stamped "59122" Forend hanger lug stamped "I" and perpendicular "P".

These indicators shout ITHACA to me.
Your mileage may vary,

John