Not thinking at all doesn't work for me, SJ.

Is it automatic (I assume that's what you meant by autonomic) when you view a previously unseen, really technical true pair, to know immediately which to shoot first? Not for me. I have to think and second and decide. Don't, and a good target setter will eat my lunch. When I see a midi target thrown at distance do I automatically know it's a midi, or do I wonder for a second if it's a standard, but further out? (It's not always on the menu what size the target is).

I agree that the brain needs to be "calmed down" a few seconds before calling "Pull". That is a basic part of my pre-shot routine. But, to say that thinking is not required for creating a plan, as I look at the show pair, would be totally false. I decide on several things in a matter of seconds after seeing that show pair, and thinking is required to make those decisions. Once I have a plan for the pair I switch that level of brain function off, and just try to execute the plan. I haven't seen them all, SJ. Target setters are getting better and better. They will use the terrain to fool you into thinking a bird is rising when it's actually falling. They will use timing of the first shot o a true pair to beat you. Don't think about where that second bird is going to be, after you kill the first one, and they'll be marking a "0" on your card for that target. Shoot at that first report pair bird on edge at 45 yards, instead of waiting a couple of seconds for it to show you it's face, and see how well it works. All those things require thinking about in advance.

Failing to have a plan is the equivalent to planning to fail, IMO. I see new shooters all the time just look at a show pair and the only thing they remember is where they're coming from. They shoot in the 50s, if they're lucky. My last three rounds of 100 were scored at 96, 96 and 94. The first score was the morning of the day I accidentally drowned and was resuscitated. The last two are in the last two weeks after I regained enough muscle strength to hold my Perazzi up for a whole round. Thinking at the right time works for me. Now, if I'd just been thinking that afternoon before I tried to go down that steep waterslide upright, on my feet .......... blush

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.