Perhaps 30 years ago, the initial thought was the autoloading action tore up the receiver because the action bars were steel. But, Larry Ahlman figured out the problem was chambers that got rusty. Maybe other people figured it out as well, but, Ahlmans has returned hundreds of those guns to the field as pump rifles, which, is better than junking them.
My Dads 742 in 30-06 is accurate enough. It is about the only 30-06 rifle that I didnt find unpleasant to shoot. A neighbor had a 742 in .308, the version without the basket weave checkering, that was more than accurate enough, more pleasant to shoot, and better looking, as far as I was concerned.
Ive seen many times over the years where people have taken a handful of mixed, moldy, ammunition out to a range with their deer rifle, to sight it in.
They usually find they cant hit squat with it. The autoloaders ALL, to a one, should be fed the newest, best stuff you can find for them.
Dads 700, in 7mm mag, literally would eat anything, and print most of it very well. First year, stainless barrel version.
Maybe the most unpleasant gun I have ever shot. You dont want to miss, and have to shoot twice, that is for sure.

Best,
Ted