Hi craigd I had to take some time out I was diagnosed with av2 block so I now have a pacemaker to overcome bradycardia. I feel much better now and looking forward to my forays after duck and geese.
The season started on 1st of September and finishes on the foreshore on the 20th of February. I normally wait until the end of the brown trout season on 5th October before I venture out wildfowling.
Shotgun certificate applications here are high and refusals run about 2% or less. Geese numbers are increasing each year so much so that in some areas Canada and Greylag geese are shot year round. Breeding mallard have increased threefold since 1975 and numbers of Pinkfeet geese overwintering from Iceland continue to rise.
Wildfowlers continue to bag good numbers of overwintering wigeon, teal and geese, frequently taking the geese with the old 8 or 4 bore side by sides or singles.Flighting under the moon on the foreshore for wigeon coming in to splashes and geese coming inland to feed under the light of the moon is still enjoyed by many.
My cousin has looked out our decoys and Im looking forward to getting my Konor 3 inch out for the geese both inland and on the foreshore.Theres no restriction on number of shotguns owned so I can pick from one of four 3 inch magnums ,go with the Beretta Extrema or my AYA 10 bore.
Im hoping to still be making friends and enjoying wildfowling for some time to come.
My friends and I took just over 600 wild ducks two seasons back on flight ponds mainly teal, mallard and wigeon.
Im not keen to hang around the site much now ,its the same old arguments from the same old people. Im much preferring using my time to enjoy the double gun scene over here ,theres plenty of old side by sides to enjoy and the coming game season should give me plenty of opportunities to get some hands on fun with some interesting old pieces.
How are things Stateside are you concerned about the future of duck hunting in your neck of the woods?