dearmer,
Thanks for the effort, it is obvious you put a lot of effort into the explanation. I guess you are saying "it just depends", and it depends on unknown variables. I guess some of us accidently found a set of variables that work and others found a set that didn't. It would be nice to have a way to measure the pressures resulting from a particular set of variables. When pressure was measured with copper/lead crushers, the results only( or mainly) showed maximum pressure. I had hoped Bell's use of more modern equipment would be the answer, after all, he was able to show the "Stutter", therefore should have shown any "spike" also. Do you think measuring Dell's loads using Bell's methods would result in a showing of a "spike", sufficient to cause a "ring"( maybe with multible "shots") and the amount of pressure necessary to do it? Instead of being similar to a "shaped charge", your explanation sounds more like a "water hammer" resulting from quick acting valves in a plumbing system, except water is not compressable and gas/air is. A common "fix" to stop water hammer is a column of air trapped in the system( like above the powder in a cartridge) to act as a spring. It's a "puzzlement".
Mike