Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: Stan
Weight matters very little to me. Much more important to me are the handling characteristics. I have sub-5 lb. guns that handle like 6 1/2 lb. game guns, and 9 lb.+ doubles that are as quick as many 7 lb. guns.

MOI is much more important to me than weight.

SRH

Concur, overall weight is part of it, but the balance or better put as you have MOI is the dominant concern.

Come hunt with me sometime.

One does not have to give up MOI, or whatever acronym you wish to choose, to use a light gun. And the end of the day, a long day, in heavy cover, maybe snow, lots of cold and wind, a light gun is appreciated. And strangely, they can kill pretty well.

Everything is a trade off and the balance of that trade off is subject to a given set of circumstances.

No, thanks. If I want to hunt in tough conditions I'll stick with ducks in the hell-hole swamps I love so much. And, my 9 lb. 7 oz. SuperFox never seems to bother me there. You see, professor, in your attempt to paint me in an ignorant light it is you who overlook the obvious. Three times in my short post above I used the qualifier "to me". This because I was responding to a thread entitled "Field gun preferred weight". The title, and my response, were both tailored to the responder and his circumstances (thus the word "preferred"), both of which were ignored by you in your reply to me.

Besides, I don't hunt with persons who make a habit of "riding free" on other's backs.

See ya'll later. I'm off to shoot some clays.

SRH

Stan, you wouldn't know rough hunting it you tripped over it. Duck hunting sure aint it.

Pump up your ego and knock yourself out on those clays though. And make sure to take a gun with a lot of MOI or umammi or whatever your secret sauce for the day is.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]