I suspect it is more the particular postal or parcel stations that you interact with and their personnel. Here, the USPS office is wonderful. Great people who will go the last mile to make sure the guns, bees, ducks, geese, and other crazy stuff we receive or ship are all handled extremely well.

FedEx shipping and delivery as always been very good or excellent if occasionally surly at the counter. They have been helpful and easy to deal with when shipping ammo and firearms.

The UPS drivers have been very good, particularly the one that most commonly has our delivery on his route. But UPS hub station, where I would have to go to send a gun by UPS, is stunningly bad in temperament and service. That local operation has a very toxic, for lack of a better word, environment and selection of personnel.

Shipping services are something like airlines. You have a bad experience, damn the whole corporation, and move on to the next one. Sooner or later, the process repeats. For me, USPS is the gold standard here. I expect if I lived in Ames or some other town, it could very well be something else.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]