Originally Posted By: BrentD
Cold Iron,
I have used Tri Flow for guns and Tri Flow for bicycle chains. The latter just yesterday. But I am doubtful they are the same thing or maybe their formula changed over the years. Both had teflon, but the former was suspended in oil I believe, while the latter is some other milky fluid that evaporates quickly leaving just the teflon behind - which has a lot of bike chain advantages. My Tri Flow bottle that I used for guns is still around, but I have refilled it many times over with NAPA ATF instead.

Anyway, there may be more than one version of it out there.

There is a new version of it out there for those that want to be "green" and less toxic based on soy instead of mineral oil. Never used it and have no plans to I'll stick with the original. Was bad enough when they decided to jump on the CFC bandwagon to save the hole in the ozone layer years ago. It used to have a really strong banana smell, I kind of liked it. Now it is more of a hint of banana since they changed the formula to save the world. yes they do make multiple products.

I use the spray most often but on the Benelli's and pumps more times than not the drip bottle for spot applications. Like Shotgunjones said you only want a small amount on the rails of a Benelli. And really like their grease for choke tube threads. At one time I used anti seize on choke tube threads, used to go through 5 lb. buckets of it in the engineeroom on ships. But is a mess to deal with and the synthetic grease is just as effective but a lot easier to deal with. Although the older I get the more I hate choke tubes in general.

I also use ATF but only for cleaning my guns in a modified version of Eds Red mixed with Acetone. Sperm whale oil seems to be in short supply as of late and Type 3 ATF is a good substitute for it.

A lot of our pumps and turbines used Woodruff keys in the engine room...