It isn't the price alone John, although paying $12.95 for 1/2 ounce of those sub-standard ingredients is not my cup of tea. You can get an attractive finish on a gunstock with BLO alone, or with a little dryer added. But the ingredients in Timberluxe (or BLO) are very poor at protecting a gunstock from moisture or UV light, and they actually support the growth of micro-organisms that cause mold and rot.

I do not want to slop any finish on in quantity. I just want something effective and attractive that actually does a great job of protecting my stocks. I hope you will read the thread in the link I provided. It was intended to help, not to disparage those who use other products. When doing a period correct restoration, sometimes an inferior product is exactly the right thing to use. But most people restoring a Model A won't use lead based straight enamel for the finish... especially if it cost as much as Timberluxe.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.