Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
[/quote]While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the 1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

Why would “slightly greased” with Vaseline be bad?

What specific lubricant would you suggest on a SLE’s locks and why?

Purdey still recommends Vaseline or a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix. Several years ago at the Southern SxS I saw a jar of Vaseline and asked the vendor if that is what they recommended - he said yes, that was what all of their gunsmiths used - it was Trigger (Alborough Tregear) the managing director of Westley Richards.

If Vaseline is good enough for Purdey and Westley Richards it's good enough for me. [/quote]

I looked and couldn’t find anywhere on the Purdey website where they believed you (or, I) should have anything to do with servicing their guns. Much less, what lube you should use.

Just sayin.

https://www.purdey.com/gun-services/servicing

Best,
Ted