Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Another thread asked the question about why quarter sawn was best for some stock applications. It has to do with stress directions and interlocking fibers in wood. In extremely large trees you can get blanks which are true quarter sawn on both faces and top and bottom. This is perfect for heavy recoil, heavy stresses. Up down, left right makes no difference.

With flat dawn or other blanks you will get better interlocking fibers in one direction than the other. Worst for chipping will be true 45 degree grain structure to the face. You get extra short interlocking fibers along two edges or corners. These are more prone to chipping. If you ever had to split fire wood you learned all about interlocking fibers. It is a pity sweet or red gum trees dont have beautiful grain because they have so much interlocking fibers every type of blank would be great against stresses. A nightmare to inlet perhaps but strong.

Perhaps in stock heaven all blanks are true quarter sawn in the head and wrist area and quickly turn into what ever type grain flow that gives best looking back half of the stock. You get strength and stability of quarter sawn and beauty in the most visible part of the stock. I had a dealer, who was showing a full length crotch walnut stock which was two sided and ran directly up the wrist of the blank. Looked beautiful but I passed because crotch grain would have given poor strength in the wrist area. Might work for a through bolt as they say but no my interest. Just think about how long that would last on a LC Smith before the first crack.

Nice write up on we choose 1/4 sawn for strength Jon. Good to hear from a man who knows wood. Thanks for the discussion.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns