Originally Posted By: waterman
I have an original antique Low Wall that we discussed here some time ago. Started as a .32 rimfire, a rusty junker. A guy I worked with bought it, put in a CF block and re-barreled it to .32-40. He fired what he said were a few Winchester "John Wayne" cartridges. Another friend thought they were handloads, but overloaded with 4227. In any event, the action failed, cracking on both sides at the rear of the breech block slot. The guy sold it to person #2 as junk.

Person #2 had the action repaired by some expert welding, quite a good job. The action was completely refinished in french grey and was engraved by Ken Hurst. That completely hides the welds. Person #2 then put a Green Mountain .25-20 WCF barrel on the action, rust blued the barrel and other parts, fitted good sights. #2 is an excellent woodworker. He made a stock of light colored walnut with a beautiful figure. The rifle is a thing of beauty.

But the rifle was terribly inaccurate, simply would not shoot well. #2 consigned it to a shop, but with a folder attached showing photos of the rebuilding, including before & after pics of the cracked & welded action.

I purchased the rifle, even though I knew all the details. On inspection, the barrel was a reject, should have never left the shop. About 6 inches of tool chatter marks in one groove.

I had made arrangements with Joe Harr to convert the action to rimfire and put a .22 LR liner in the barrel. We were going to trade breech blocks. The rifle was ready to ship when Joe died.

It went back into the safe. Now I'm 80, with other, very interesting rifles to play with, including another Low Wall, converted to a Hornet years back. I had that one re-barreled to 28-30 Stevens and made with a false muzzle.

A very interesting story - so many twists and turns. Thanks for posting. I'm surprised so much work would go into the welding and engraving when finding a no-problem low wall rifle is not an expensive prospect. However, I am aware sometimes there is the strong appeal of rescuing something that is on hand.