Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Boltman
On the topic of this .38-56, another interesting factor (observed by someone more knowledgeable than me) is that it is a first issue low wall frame and these frames were discontinued in the 17,000 to 18,000 serial number range. This .38-56 is in the high 35,000 range. There is likely an interesting story that goes with this rifle.

Well, the trigger bar is in the high 35k range. The rest?

I would love to see the receiver face on this gun. I wonder it has a cut for the ejector spring commonly found on low wall actions? Also, the top of the receiver is round and without the concavity that is often found on thick-tang low walls. Perhaps this is a one-off project cut down from a highwall action. It would be interesting to carefully compare the cut down walls on this gun to one such as my thick-tang rifle. But that a chore for tomorrow.

This .38-56 has the early breech-block that does not have the rounded edges and hence the breech block is greater in weight. In addition, it has the flared receiver where the receiver meets the forearm and where the receiver meets the buttstock. Also of note, many low wall and high wall parts are interchangeable.