Originally Posted By: Chuckster
Modern Low-walls have raised the shoulders above the center line of the cartridge.
Chuck

I examined and compared pics of original LW's and the new Winchester LW's, There appears to be a subtle difference to the action line just behind the breech block. And I want to say subtle again. If this is the change you are saying then I say that it does not rise to above the centerline to any extent. Now I do not have one to measure but measuring in AutoCad and comparing I do again say the delta is small.

Brent,
"Geometry and steel." Please elaborate on the geometry differences. Do you know what was used then and the steel used now?

Concerning the 38-56 cartridge being discussed,
The 38-56 WCF was a black powder cartridge and created well before smokeless. Using black powder, the cartridge is typical of chamber pressures that all BP cartridges see. The LW, using pressures and performance of BP, is safe to shoot for this cartridge IMO. After all you wouldn't think twice about shooting this cartridge in a Ballard a design inferior to the LW. If you shoot hot loads in any cartridge, any cartridge, bad things can happen. Some people on here already know if they improperly load cartridge the results can be very unpleasant.

I would shoot the rifle, at the center of this discussion, with BP reloads.