Results are in, and I found some additional information

From a 1934 Winchester salesmans manual reproduced in The Riflemans Rifle Winchester's Model 70, p.23:
Proof Steel. Winchester pioneered the alloy steel field by the production of heat treated nickel steel barrels thirty years ago
Two or three years ago our metallurgists together with those of one of the greatest steel companies in the country, produced a new alloy. This new alloy was a chrome molybdenum steel which was capable of being tempered to a greater strength and resistance to wear, and still be in a machinable state, than any other alloy yet discovered.
Winchester decided to coin the name Winchester Proof-steel which would be Winchesters guarantee that it would be the finest alloy steel known at the time.

The Winchester Model 12 owners manual in the 1960s state Only the finest of gun steels-WINCHESTER Proof (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel-is used in the manufacture of your Model 12.

Winchester catalogs in the 70s state Proof Steel was cold forged Chrome Molybdenum.

Winchester's Finest The Model 21 by Ned Schwing states Chrome Molybdenum alloy.

Mike Hunter has stated specifically 4140.

THIS 1937 Model 12 Winchester Proof Steel barrel is non-standard (low chromium and slightly high molybdenum) AISI 4135 medium carbon low alloy steel
Carbon .34% (0.33 - 0.38)
Manganese - .76% (0.7 - .9)
Chromium - .62% (0.8 - 1.1)
Molybdenum - .30% (0.15 - 0.25)
Nickel - .09% (< .01)

Yield strength 79,500 psi
Ultimate tensile strength 107,000 psi
% elongation 12
(Industrial standard for non-heat-treated 4135: Yield 75,000; Ultimate 110,000 psi. 4135 may be heat treated to much higher strength.)

I recognize that Winchester over the years may have specified 4140.
And BTW I was not able to find a definitive statement as to which company made 1930s "Winchester Proof Steel"

I also have no explanation for the internal barrel defects, the ring bulge, and the crack.