Thanks Woodreaux! I'm using the #3054 OSMO finish and you're right, it would give me a better idea if I looked at the sds. My thought is, I've got some plain jane hunting rifles and bad weather shotguns that take some weather abuse here in N ID, with some I've refinished in the past, with a variety of oil finishes (excluding linseed). Using the OSMO or similar product may expedite the process when I get around to refinishing them.

I wouldn't use the product on the very few higher end/sentimental firearms I have.

Concerning the Linseed oil report from the USFS, it was standard practice to coat the tool handles (shovels, Pulaski's, axes, etc) yearly before the fire and field seasons with linseed oil of which the FS went through barrels of the stuff. Probably 15 or more years ago, they stopped using it due to not being any real benefit of longevity to the handles and in wet weather the handles would/could become (practical experience) more slick creating (in the USFS mind) a possible unsafe scenario.

Cameron Hughes