=================================================================================================================
Reevaluating the mid-1840's chronology. 8378 and 7201 now 1st guns from 502 New Oxford Street;
Significance of "Removed from Holborn"

In addition, looking at all the data, the trade labels, etc., I've had to conclude that the the JC Reilly "7000" series gun SN 7201 with the "removed from Holborn" address was indeed made in 1847 not 1849 and thus had to move it back.

That means that the 1st JC Reilly "7000' gun, SN 7023 was probably numbered in late 1845 or early 1846 (It still has 316 High Holborn on the rib).

I've also had to conclude that the Swedish SxS SN'd "8578" gun was indeed 8378 making it the earliest gun after the move to New Oxford Street. I've therefore changed the Extant Serial Number chart to reflect this...having to move around some serial number chronology by a few dozen guns a year (p.44)...and the serial number chart on the History (p.45). This fits with the label on 8378 which includes "Removed from Holborn." (It also makes a clean 5000 SN jump from the last extant High Holborn gun 3329 to 8378 very plausible. - and E.M brought discipline to his Dad's business from the looks of things.)
]

Given the few guns from this time period, it's still pretty hypothetical; and yet, amazingly there are 9 existing guns from 1846-1849 with maker inscriptions and trade labels which enables a better than usual chart from this time period. I was never quite comfortable with the old chart...I changed a few guns per year to make everything fit...but the new chart of 1840's serial numbers seems much more logical now. It's not a big deal - just about all those guns from that era were shot out many years ago - but it was something to correct. If other guns appear, this may change. I'll change the history to reflect this tomorrow.

Here is why I think the "Removed from Holborn" dates a gun from late March 1847 to November 1847. Reilly advertisements in London newspapers used that phrase from early April to at least November 1847 after their March 23 moved from High Holborn to 502 New Oxford Street. By December 1847 the phrase was no longer found on their advertisements.

1. April 3, 1847 from "Illustrated London News"
2. October 30, 1847, from "London Daily News"

December 21, 1847 "Illustrated London News"

Edit: History has been modified to reflect the above. I feel much better about the accuracy of the chart over the period of the move from 316 High Holborn to 508 New Oxford street now.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/01/20 10:28 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch