Stan, I think CO2 is used because it stores in the powerlet as a liquid and is released as a gas at a surprisingly high pressure. Maybe think fire extinguisher vs air compressor tank. It took me eight or ten pumps on my Benjamin to get good velocity.

When I was little, I had CO2 repeater envy and I ended up with a couple, but that old Benjamin had a good velocity edge for the day and was about as accurate as they came for the time except the fancy euro match stuff.

I bet I still have an old Daisy catalog, must be nearing fifty years since I've flipped through it, but I remember the FWB Daisy on the cover, and I believe the page with the model 21 had a picture of it staged with a few orange aspirin tablet clays. I might be remembering it wrong.

I still have the old Benjamin rifle, but I'm pretty sure I still have a Benjamin CO2 pellet repeater pistol. Didn't feed all that terrific, but I remember knowing it was rare back in the day when I talked my dad into getting it for me. Fake safari hunting for frogs and tweety birds, and fishing for hours made for some fun days.