When I was a kid, my dad brought home a pair of the Daisy lever action copies of the Winchester Model 94 and a box of 15,000 BBs. We set up a range in the basement and over the next few years we shot up that box of BBs, swept them up, shot them again, swept them up and shot them again. We literally wore those two rifles out. Sadly, I found them when we were cleaning out the house after we were moving my mom to an assisted living facility, only to learn that Daisy doesn't stock parts for them or do repairs. They sit in a corner of my basement, a reminder of my childhood and my dad.

Dad had been an active participant in the BB gun wars of the 1940s in the Mayfair section of Northeast Philadelphia, which still had some substantial undeveloped areas at the time. He carried a bone chip on one eye socket, the legacy of a very near miss during one of those wars. Needless to say, that experience made him a real tyrant when it came to gun safety, a value which I continually thank him for to this day.