I'd have to go through a lot of notes, but I expect that I've killed more roosters with a 16 than a 12 as well. And I've had several short chambered British 12's through which I never used anything heavier than 1 1/8 oz. But I've shot quite a few birds with the more modest 1 1/4 oz 12ga loads as well.

One interesting fact about the old 1220 fps Super Pigeon load is that it receives high praise from three late shotgun gurus: Bob Brister, Gene Hill, and Michael McIntosh. With most pheasant hunters shooting 12's chambered at least 2 3/4" if not 3", I think it's a good choice. In McIntosh's book "Shotguns and Shooting", the chapter "Gunning John Ringneck" contains the following quote:

" . . . From experience I have to say I wouldn't object too strongly if someone described a 12 gauge 3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 ounce charge of hard No. 6 as the ultimate all-around pheasant load."

I've patterned that load against higher velocity options. And while the results only showed a fairly slight advantage over the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz 1330 fps load (which is the original Super-X formula), it printed far better on paper than the 1400 fps version--and with significantly less recoil. But the ammo makers know their business well enough to realize that they can always sell American hunters on loads that are either heavier or faster . . . or both.