[quote=keith]
So how is this possible when we are told that steel kills just as good or better than lead?

I question the "science" relied on to support the no-lead movement, especially as it applies to upland game. Simply BS to think that the miniscule amount of lead shot dropping in upland fields and forests is statistically significant in terms of reduced bird populations or the public health. Heavy use waterfowl areas may be different--I don't know.

Regardless, when the steel shot waterfowl rule was mandated by the feds back in the early 90's, I quit hunting ducks altogether, and bought a 10 gauge 10 lb. Eibar double with 32 inch F/F barrels to hunt geese. I had the chokes reamed out a little bit at a time, many weeks back and forth to the pattern board and gunsmith, until finally the gun patterned 60% R and 70% L in perfectly round patterns with Federal 3 1/2 " 1 5/8 oz steel BB's. That gun was deadly on geese at up to 60 yards, and I was able to hit well at that distance because the barrels were so heavy I could not stop my swing. Patterns ran about 10% tighter with BBB's, but I never felt the need to use them. Still have 2 unopened boxes.

Point being, steel BB's had all the energy, penetration and killing power I needed to take 10 lb. Greater Canada's consistently. Prior to the rule, I used 1 7/8 oz of lead 2's in an early fixed choke 12 gauge 3" Win 23 with good result. I have no idea how the smaller steel shot works on ducks, and will probably never find out. FWIW.