WC Scott website mentions that Richard Galyon holds the pre 2006 Scott records. In the off chance that he might retain patent use information, I've written this letter to him (to test the water).

Good afternoon Richard. From the WC Scott website I believe you hold the historical WC Scott information on pre-2006 guns.

I have written a new history of Reilly of London and created a date chart to permit dating of his serial numbered guns over 90 years from 1827-1912. It was published in Diggory Hadoke's on-line magazine "Vintage Gun Journal last summer and can be read in its entirety on this line:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436538&page=44

In continuing research I got interested in certain patents and wondered whether the patent use numbers on various guns could be dated. As an example, I've created a graph of use numbers for Scott Patent 761-78, the "Scott Climax Action." The use numbers look pretty logical up to about 1886.

I've noted five H&H shotguns from pre 1886 using the action posted below. I have written to H&H asking for dates of these guns to help refine the 761-78 dating chart and for any information on when they paid Scott for the patent use and how much they paid. Unfortunately H&H may not retain these records. This is not surprising. Certainly Purdey is unable to access their records for Purdey Patent 1104-63.

Use # 150 - H&H SN 6096 (H&H dated the gun to Lord Mandeville, possibly 1880)
Use # 832 - H&H SN 6777 made for a "Dalgleish"
Use #1190 - H&H SN ? allegedly from 1882 sold to a W. Place/Burnley (Check out the theoretical time line - almost dead on)
Use #1400 - H&H SN 7616 made for a Mr. Straker
Use #1401 - H&H SN 7381 made for Dr. Salix (no completion date)(Toby restored)
Use #1651 - H&H SN 7610 (replacement barrels)

You can see some conversation about this on this line:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

I realize this is a Quixotic request..patent use numbers were sometimes sold in blocks; each patent holder had his own system, the patent use "system" in England at that time seems to have been as chaotic as the gun making business in the 1880's was in its entirety. But somehow the first 7 or 8 years of that Scott patent 761 look fairly logical with the patent use numbers ascending regularly and generally seeming to match gun serial numbers that can be dated.

By any chance in addition to Scott Serial Number records, do you retain any information on patent use payments made to Scott in the 19th Century? Many thanks, Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 03/10/20 05:27 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch