Originally Posted By: Der Ami
PhysDoc,
I can see I would like your Uncle Pete, you "done good" listening to him.
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am sure you would, he is a good man, I am fortunate to have him as my uncle.

Getting back to sights, I had a problem that had been vexing me. I won the base of a Lyman 22 sight on ebay in a collection of parts several years ago. The Lyman 22 is the predecessor of the Lyman 36 and was made for sporters made on the 88 action. A friend has one to that is also missing some of the same parts. So I made parts for mine and his.

On the top left, you see all the parts that go into the base. On the bottom you see my completed sight. On thing that I found hardest was making what I call the stem. The final procedure was to take a 1/4 socket head bolt and drill a 1/8 hole along the axis. Then I made a holder, that is shown in the upper right. It is a piece of 3/4" round stock, first drilled through with a 1/4 clearance drill, then a 5/16" slot was milled along a portion of the axis. When the bolt is placed in the holder, I could mill a groove in the bolt using a 5/16" ball end mill.

The parts were blued using a recipe from Clyde Bakers book "Modern Gunsmithing", heat the parts with a torch and quench them in raw linseed oil.

It feels good to have this project done.

Fred