I am posting this up here on the forum as the Lefever project post is getting rather lengthy.

Now on to staining and oil finish for the wood. I ask your indulgence for the straight up reason that, not being a stock maker or woodsmith with loads of experience, I am going slow. Once I have decided on the course of action then the finish I select is the one I live with for a long time. This, and.. my Brits hate an unsightly finish on a gun.

Any suggestions on commercial product? I have used Brownell's Pilkington Spirit Pre-64 Stain a few times. LinSpeed over Tungseal (Roy Dunlap). What about Napier's London Oil Stain? I have read about this and watched a YouTube video but I have not experience with this product. Any thoughts on products with a mixture of oil and varnish such as MinWax Antique Oil Finish (I have read about this and it appears to be a good choice) or Watco Danish Oil Natural (I have lots of this as I use it to seal my Damascus barrels). I would like to get a stain color close to the Lefever original if possible. As you can see from the photos of the stock in the original post it is a good straight grain walnut with not a lot of figure in the grain. Again, thanks for the many replies to my many questions.