Thanks all.

I'll take some pictures of the head this evening. There does seem to be some oil coming out there as well.

It could be that there is some finish in the nooks and crannies, but I don't think that's what this is because the wood will look completely bare after acetone or mineral spirits.

This spot first showed up as several small oily spots not long after I got the finish off. I worked on this area with mineral spirits, and put it in the dry box just to keep it out of harms way mostly. That's when a long stripe showed up. I did a short soak in acetone, wiped it down, into the dry box, and the picture is the result.

One thing that puzzles me is that the oil is coming up along the side of the stock instead of just around the head. This is an ithaca 200e, which has a rod running through the stock. I'm thinking that the oil could have gotten to where it is by travelling along the rod hole.

If tbe dry box is working, what would you all think about using it to draw the oil out and then wiping it down with a solvent each day? If that's a reasonable option, what would you use alcohol, acetone, mineral spirits or a degreaser like krud kutter? Or would you all put it in whiting or Fuller's earth for a while?

Last edited by Woodreaux; 02/12/20 10:18 AM.

Jim