Originally Posted By: BrentD
Ted, I assume you have lots of greys, but I don't know exactly where you are at. Somehow I associate you with Anoka, but I don't know where I dreamed that up from.

Lots of grays is an understatement. Yes, Anoka county, but, I seldom, if ever hunted squirrels in Anoka county, Sherburn and Mil Lacs county, mostly, with some forays into Kannebec and parts south of the greater metro.

Minnesota got the first and most of the Hmong boat people, who were perfectly happy to hunt small game with little regard for the laws until a major effort was put into teaching those laws. I do believe there was perhaps a decade that put extreme pressure on all furred small game species around and in the Metro. A side note, the Hmong initially encountered Destroying Angel mushrooms, and, until the word got out not to eat the mushrooms that looked just like the ones back home, we would see stories of Hmong families that needed three, or four, or five liver transplants after a meal. I would bet the last time I read one of those stories was about the time I saw the last fox squirrel.

I have often wondered why the fox squirrels never seemed to bounce back. The bunnies cycle up and down, just like always, the greys are at nuisance level, most of the time, and the fox squirrels are gone.
The little red squirrels are here as well. Not as many as greys, a good thing.

Best,
Ted