No pics, but we shot doves the last two afternoons, in anticipation of the looming seven month "dry spell". Tough going this time of year. Hard to scratch out a limit some days. I bagged 6 Wednesday and 7 yesterday. Interesting thing happened yesterday.

We were shooting an old sunflower field that was sparse as far as cover goes. What's left of the stalks are only about three feet tall, no weeds or brush to get in. I was in full, appropriate pattern camo, including gloves and full mask. I set up the Mojo on an 11 ft. tall pole about 20 yds. away and clipped some inactive decoys on top of a few stalks around it. The setup really looked good. Nothing that I could see to spook them.

As soon as some big droves started flying I realized something in my setup was flaring them, from as far as 200 yards away. I thought that maybe they had gotten "Mojo shy", tho' I'd never seen that before. I took the Mojo down .......no dice. They still skirted me, out of range, from all directions. Finally, about an hour before the end of the shoot I got off my stool, folded it down, and crouched on my knees, putting my silhouette a good two feet lower in the sunflower stalks. Bingo! They began passing within range of me.

My silhouette was just too obvious, even though I was in full camo and motionless, and those wary old birds just weren't having any of it. If I had just figured that out a couple hours earlier I could have probably limited out. Oh well, still had fun and learned something I hope I can remember.

Looks like a washout this afternoon which is the last day, due to rain, but we'll see.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.