We took a short trip today with Pop, Sadie and my Muttpak to familiar woods where we've seen birds this season. Floyd's daughter accompanied us. Today, we managed to flush only one with no shot and couldn't find it again. The area has sparse rivercane, hardwoods and is wet with islands of above water ground. It's depicted below.We went to another area we half-heartedly hunted a few years ago at day's end and Abby had a distant point but it flushed. Today, it had more rivercane which gave denser cover than in years past and significantly denser than what is depicted in the first photo of the first area we hunted today. We wouldn't have found two points without gps collars as the dogs were barely visible at 5 yards. It is pictured below as well. We found 3 birds in the second area and Floyd managed to take advantage of the "Popportunity" (Credit to Floyd's daughter) over 11 year-old Pop's point. Pop may not have the speed of the other dogs, but he is steady and finds birds the others miss. We were flummoxed on two more points with the birds not giving us clear shots with one flying at my head and swiftly putting trees between me and it. For the MuttPak, Gil
Sparse rivercane cover:
Dense rivercane cover, shoulder high: