Stan, that's a beauty of a gun. What mfg's shells were you shooting?
We covered some different terrain today with all four Britts. We tried finding woodcock on higher ground to no avail. Instead, we found a covey of about 10 birds (quail) that flushed wild, but I marked a good direction on it. About 150 or more yards out, Abby pointed.I went in and the covey flushed. Expecting a single, the covey apparently had regrouped quickly and got up with us behind Abby about 5 yards from where she was pointing. Four shots, four holes in the sky with nothing falling out of the holes. We left the high area and went to new terrain. The woodcock were in open hardwoods with puddles scattered among the oaks and huckleberry bushes. I am sure flushing breeds do a fine job, but we would have never found these birds without ranging, pointing dogs. Sadie made one point 120 yards away and Pop, a 100 yards out, while other dogs worked 180 degrees from them. While Britts are closer working than most other pointing dogs, we prefer them working 50 to 120 yards spread out ahead and to the sides of us. Willa found one bird that flushed ahead of Sadie and I thought I'd missed my two shots. We saw if fly off and make a banking turn descending 75-100 yards out. We expected another flush if we could find it. We put the dogs ahead of us and Willa went on a point. It was the dead woodcock.