On the periodic table of elements, Atomic number 26 has a chemical symbol of FE, the chemical name of Iron with an atomic weight of 55.845. Atomic number 6 has a chemical symbol of C, the chemical name of Carbon & an atomic weight of 12.011. Steel is not on the table, WHY, because it is not an Element. It is an alloy of Iron & Carbon. If we want to get "Technical" Iron contains NO carbon.

Most of the carbon contained in cast iron is not alloyed with the iron but is in a free state. IF you doubt this put a piece of it in a mill or on a lathe & do a bit of machining on it. You will find yourself very quickly covered with black sooty dust from all the free carbon being thrown off.

Steel can, & normally does, have more alloying ingredients than carbon alone, but the very act of alloying Iron with Carbon creates Steel. I have done no research into the actual creation of "Stainless Steel". I will say though I will have to have Absolute Definitive proof that any gun company was making stainless Steel barrels in 1926 for any type of firearm.

I have a .32-40 barrel from a model 1885 Win Hi-Wall plainly marked Nickel Steel Especially for Smokeless Powder. This steel was first used by WW in 1895 for barrel for the .30WCF (AKA .30-30) & later in the same year for the ..25-35 It is not "Stainless". Neither was the so-called Anti-Knit. An S&W early model 60, which was this company's first SST revolver or pistol, a 5 shot .38 Spl stainless version of the .38 Chief's Special has magnetic parts, Frame, Barrel & Cylinder. They are therefore NOT 18-8 nor any of the 300 series alloys. I may have seen, but if so do not recall, their exact alloy, but feel sure it is a 400 series which is both magnetic & contains enough carbon to be heat treatable. Their Cylinders have been stated as being heat-treated, which cannot be done with a 300 series stainless.

300 series stainless has a "Gummy" nature & any two parts rubbing together are a Total Disaster just waiting to happen. "Don't Ask Me How I Know".In machinist Lingo, they will "Gall", about like trying to rub two pieces of well-chewed bubble gum together.

It is my personal opinion, from some 35+ years experience of working with the stuff that 300 series SST has extremely limited usefulness in the manufacture of firearms. Feel free to prove me wrong if you like, but do it with "Cold Hard Facts". I do feel as if I have given enough basic facts to back up my opinion, they are not just based on Here-say.

PS; In the total scheme of things both 41xx & 44xx alloy steels are classified by the industry as "Low Alloy" steels.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra