PL you seem to be on your own here. So I will start at the beginning with a couple of photographs.

A slim brief history of Webley & Scott.

Take a close look at the gun case bottom left in this picture does it remind you of something? It is a very low grade photograph of a low grade book picture.

These cases where made by the Brady company (there is a company having the same name now though not the same).
The leather used for the straps handle and strap anchors is English Vege Tanned Bridle Leather straps fitted with solid Brass Military style buckles, not at all the like the thin poor quality Leather used on the $129.95 case manufactured to a rock bottom price in the far east.
The Canvas used on the Brady case is a quality product using a high proportion of Linen thread in its manufacture. The $129.95 offering is just Cotton Calico with a ware rating of a ladies handkerchief.
The Brady case fabric is manufactured from Deal a cover all name we Brits give to various Pine timbers. This is strong and light also used for the dividers and the case top and bottom.This is to make the case and gun lighter to carry when compared with an Oak framed version, but still giving a reasonably high level of gun protection. The Case lock is good quality Brass and lasts the life of the case.
The $129.95 has highly flexible plywood sides with hardboard top bottom and dividers.
The Brady case has real wool Baize, Perry Baize is a woven Wool Cloth, Felt is a felted cloth not woven with a ware quality of zero. In the $129.95 will have some man made fibre cloth with a nap made to look and feel like the real thing but it isn't.
Those low cost cases are sold on this side of the pond and I have been asked to repair a good number now, and I have turned every one down except the first where I gained the knowledge of how they are constructed, and never again do I want to do an other. I also used one of these low value all Leather cases that I re-constructed for a two barrel Webley & Scott 700 two barrel set posting here. George I take it that you keep all your guns in cardboard boxes with string handles "Well it is just a box to put a gun in" your remark was I hope as tongue in cheek as mine.
Finally Wanagohunting, 10 parts Alcohol to one part Baby Oil. This gives a temporary dressing the fabric it does not last a long time but it sure makes the canvas look good. Apply sparingly do not saturate the canvas.

Last edited by damascus; 01/11/20 11:25 AM.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!