i have seen two french guns lately on gunbroker that have interested me. both of them are obscure in origin, and difficult to research. so, here i am at the fount of knowledge - with hat in hand.....

the first was sold last sunday for just a bit more than i could justify. it is a Castel Vair sxs 12, gunbroker item #848741466. seller had no idea what it was - listing it as spanish. best i could tell it was a helice system gun with barrels by Francois Deschelles (or likely a successor). the flats had 11 palm marks, and double proofs that i suspect were in fairly recent years. as best i could classify it would be "Artisanal Stephanoise" in very nice condition. Naturabuy actually had a listing for Castel Vair in their script - but when i selected it...it disappeared....

second gun is currently listed #849714118. it is clearly marked Marcel Duhail Armes, La Ferte-Mace; another helice action (?) with false sideplates. this gun is missing it's forearm and has a rather ugly dent in the right tube. i recall seeing this gun offered a year or so back - i think by the same seller. i have asked for proof photos, and maybe interested.... years ago, i rolled the dice on a nice Beretta S57E that had no forearm. took a couple of years, but eventually it was made whole and was a nice enough gun at a good enough price. obviously the process of replacing a forearm on an artisanal french gun would be a very different prospect...although obscure a search for Castel Vair produced a few bits of information, but my similar search for Marcel Duhail has shown no references at all.

i would be interested in hearing from the usual suspects in the french gallery....the degree of information available here on items french is truly impressive.
thanks to all, and a safe and happy new year!

best regards,
tom

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 12/30/19 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland