I use a 1928 era L.C. Smith Ideal Grade Longrange- 32" DT AE-- weighs about 8 lbs. 6 oz. unloaded- 3" chambered-- I bought it from my friend, the late Brad B.-- he had installed a newer pad, opened the chokes to Mod. right/Imp. Mod/left, glass bedded the stocks in the area of the locks and "innards" and it fits me like an Armani suit on a Goombah-- I use RST 2&3/4' non-toxic loads in it for ducks (mallards) and geese (Canadas)--

I also use it for turkeys, spring and fall- with some older issued Federal copper plated No. 4 premium loads- Gangbusters-- It is the last of the 4 12 gauge graded Smith guns in my ownership that I would ever sell.

That being said, the extra late "bonus season" for mallards and geese re-opens this coming Sat- I have 17 acres on the Flat river, and with the area ponds and lakes still covered with slushy ice, and lots of corn fields nearby, we have geese all over- If it is raining or sleeting, I'll take a 12 gauge M12--but if not, most likely the Smith--

Many years ago, I owned a Super Fox HE 12 magnum- 32" F&F, DT, AE--way to heavy for me to handle today, at almost 80 years-- I also had Brad drill out the lead weight in my 1949 M12 Heavy Duck Gun- I prefer a muzzle heavy gun, especially for waterfowl. He also put in place a spacer and re-set the solid red pad-- 13&5/8" is too short a LOP for me, about 14&1/8" on my duck guns, 14&1/4" on my field guns- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/24/19 10:28 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..