Originally Posted By: Argo44
Interesting line on shooting high-powered Duck loads in Damascus 2 1/2" chambered SxS started by LeFusil - with comments from a lot of the usual suspects.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...6662f0f6382a0a3

James M made the following interesting observation on this line: I

I was reading an interesting article about an E M Reilly rehab by Terry Weiland in Guns and Ammo and it closed with the following which i think many will find interesting:
Jim

Six months later, I got a call. It was Edy: "Next time you're in town, I've got a gun you need to see."

It was another old English masterpiece, of a type I had heard about but never seen. A George Gibbs of Bristol, with the strange "Gibbs & Pitt's Patent" boxlock (circa 1873), a tumbler-block safety and a snap underlever. Damascus barrels, 28 inches long, and a total weight of six pounds, eight ounces. Lively as a puppy, with a French walnut stock that is eminently drool-worthy.

"Where on Earth did you find this?"

"The owner read about the Reilly and remembered he had this. He wants it refurbished."

The story of the Gibbs was simple, but with a twist. Its owner wanted it both refurbished and nitro-proofed, which would require sending it to England. It has lovely Damascus barrels, and the action is tight as it can be, even after 130 years. So Edy asked about its history. Seems the man's uncle gave him the gun when he was a teenager, 40-some years ago.

Did he ever shoot it? "Oh, yes," he'd replied. "I hunted ducks with it for years."
As the full import of that statement dawned, Edy asked, "Ducks? What with?"
To which the owner shrugged, "Canucks and Imperials, mostly."

Gulp!

For decades the ancient Gibbs with its Damascus barrels and 2 1/2-inch chambers had steadfastly digested a diet of the notorious CIL high-brass, 2 3/4-inch full-throttle duck loads, with nary a hitch. And it's still tight, tight, tight.

"What did you tell him?"

"I said, 'Forget nitro-proofing. This gun has nothing left to prove, to anyone.'"

To prove his point, Edy took it to the skeet range and shot a couple of rounds and reported that it is "lively; my Lord, it's lively."

So another patient has checked into Dr. von Atzigen's clinic for abused game guns. He expects this latest resurrection will take a couple of years, at least. Maybe longer…

===================================================
(Comment: By the way, the gun LeFusil was shooting to start off this line is SN 30166, dated 1888 on my chart. It has been for sale now for 2 years - not sure the stock is original.)
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101317914

I know Mr von Atzigen and have had him work on a few of my guns. Also got to handle a lovely Scottish round action that belonged to Terry that Edy showed me. I was very disappointed when he retired a few years back as he lives a short 30 min drive from my home. Always fun to sit around his kitchen table talking guns while his wife watched tennis in the next room.

Never saw the Gibbs.

Last edited by canvasback; 12/24/19 02:12 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia